Bundle up and come out for Wichita’s newest family holiday event
Despite freezing temperatures, Lights on the River will go on as scheduled. Please be sure to dress warmly and if you have small children please take precautions to keep them safe. The Boathouse will be open beginning at 4:30 p.m. and we will have several small fire pits placed around the event for warmth.
- Dress in Layers: Wear several layers of clothing. The heat captured in between the layers keeps you toasty. (Hint: mittens are warmer than gloves, because fingers retain more heat when they touch each other.)
- Stay Dry: Nothing chills you like wet skin. Your base layer should be made of a material that wicks sweat away from your body. Popular fabrics include polypropylene and silk. Your outermost layer should be water- and wind-proof.
- Keep Head, Neck, Hands and Feet Toasty: Your extremities let off the most heat — so keep them wrapped with warm scarves, hats, mittens or gloves, and thick socks!
- Feet First: Get good waterproof boots that the kids can take on and off easily.
12 P.M. – 3 P.M.
- Pre-selling lantern orbs in Delano during “Light Up Delano with Love“
- Central Plains Novelty
- $3 each or two for $5
- Winter wagon rides
- Festivities begin on Arkansas River near the Wichita Boathouse
- Food trucks open for dinner
- Cessna Jazz Band kicks off the event on the new floating stage
- S’mores stations
- Waltzing Waters fountain display (weather permitting)
- Lantern launch off the Lewis Street Bridge
- Be on the bridge at 6 p.m. to make a holiday wish and throw your lantern into the river
- Spectacular fireworks show
- Special appearance by Santa
This event is made possible through the support of our generous sponsors below and an EPA Section 319 Grant from the Kansas Department of Health & Environment.